Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Still doubting - John Granville Gregory

Still doubting. John Granville Gregory
Cheshire Bangor Cathedral, North Wales
Modern rendering of the Caravaccio classic

Dear Tim,

I painted Still Doubting. You wrote in a piece on your blog "He looks like a man, who having investigated will now stand up and say to his companions: 'Well, that was very interesting. Of course, I don't believe a word of this Jesus stuff'"

I choose the model because he was a friend and an intelligent one at that. He was a good chap too. So I think you may have projected values onto him that suited your position. I'd like to add that the photograph off the painting really is not very good, but then, I would say that wouldn't I!

Hope you don't mind my being picky,
best wishes John

Comment copied from Tim Parker's blog December 5 2006


No comments:

Post a Comment